Not all bosses are like Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada. Many of us have been lucky to work with a manager or supervisor who really cares about our personal wellbeing and professional progress.
A great way to show appreciation to your great boss is by sending them a lovely, elegantly worded thank you message when the occasion calls for it. However, finding the right words to express your gratitude doesn’t always come easy.
This is why we’ve put together a list of the best thank you messages you can use or draw inspiration from when crafting a thoughtful note of appreciation for your boss.
We’ve broken the thank you notes into different categories or subject matter to help you find the perfect words depending on the occasion or your reasons for wanting to say thank you to that great boss.
1. At first, I was skeptical about how easy it would be to adjust to the work culture and environment at [X]. But if I had known I would be working with a manager as amazing as you, I wouldn’t have worried. Thank you for all the months of advice and guidance you have happily bestowed upon me. I hope to pay it forward someday.
2. I’m very grateful to be working under a boss like you. I want to extend a big thank you to you for your ongoing guidance on my projects so far and for giving me the flexibility to manage my own schedule and work from wherever I want. It has done wonders for my productivity.
3. Thank you for your kind words, for always listening to my ideas and concerns, and for making sure I feel heard. You know how to bring out the best, not just in me, but in every member of the team. Your belief in us is a huge source of motivation.
Also Read: Professional Development Goal Examples
4. You make it easy for me to love my job, and I can’t thank you enough for how you’ve helped nurture my talent and skills, and given me a chance to grow in this company. Thank you for being a kind teacher and a relentless supporter of my work.
5. I just wanted to thank you for your understanding while I was dealing with my problem. Knowing I didn’t have to worry about work made getting through it a lot easier. Now, I’m ready to jump back in and work harder than ever.
6. I would like to express my deepest appreciation for your unwavering confidence in my abilities and the priceless experience I’ve gleaned from you. Thank you for your understanding, kindness, and valuable lessons. You have forever earned my respect.
7. Thank you for introducing me to [X]. We sent emails back and forth and met up for coffee, and I strongly believe they’re capable of providing the mentorship I need to increase my skills and knowledge in [X]. Thank you for always looking out for my professional interests. You’re amazing!
8. Thank you for the opportunity to work on this project. I learned a great deal along the way and I can’t wait to put that knowledge to use in other areas of my work and subsequent projects. Your belief in me is a strong motivation and I will keep doing my best to not let you down.
9. The [X] conference has been supremely illuminating. I have made a lot of promising and interesting connections that could prove beneficial to our organization. It means a lot to me to be able to attend and I appreciate you for making it happen. I hope to share all that I have learned with the team.
10. I’m writing to thank you for selecting me to represent the department at the last company-wide meeting. It was a bit challenging as I tend to be anxious about public speaking—as you know—but it helped me get out of my comfort zone and gain some much-needed confidence.
11. I’m so grateful that you signed off on me taking the course in [X]. The knowledge that I gain will help me do greater and better work that will drive the company forward. The value that you place on professional development and employee training is just incredible. Thank you again.
12. I want to express my sincere gratitude for allowing me to take on more responsibilities and make more impactful conclusions at work. I understand that there was a lot of interest in this opportunity, so I’m really thankful that you chose me.
Explore: Top Weaknesses List & Examples
13. I am so pleased to have been promoted to the role of (insert position). I owe a huge part of it to you, the work we did together, and the knowledge and skills you imparted in me along the way. Thanks to you, I feel ready to take on this new opportunity and I promise to bring nothing less than my A-game.
14. It feels good to be appreciated for my hard work and to know that all the late hours and weekends I put in were noticed and valued by you. Thank you for the generous bonus. It means a lot to me and I will keep trying to do my best work every day.
15. Thank you so much for the raise. I feel humbled and glad to be part of an organization that thinks highly of its employees and is constantly looking out for ways to reward them for their hard work. I look forward to more years of doing great work at this company.
Also Read: Best Executive Summary Examples
16. I would like to thank you for this promotion. I worked really hard to secure the experience and skills required to excel at this job, and it warms my heart to see my efforts be acknowledged and rewarded. I am excited to step into my new position and learn even more from you and other members of the team. Thanks again.
17. I was thrilled to receive my recent raise. Getting recognized for my dedication and hard work by way of financial rewards motivates and empowers me to keep putting in my best at work. I’m proud to be part of such an amazing team. Thank you for your appreciation.
18. I just wanted to say congratulations on your promotion. I can’t think of anyone who deserves it more. You’re a great manager, and although I’m sad that you will no longer be supervising my team, I know you’ll be an awesome leader to your new team. I really appreciate you and the work you do.
Also Read: Short Professional Bio Examples
19. From the first day that I joined the team, you made me feel incredibly welcome and appreciated, and you never stopped pushing us to be the absolute best we can be. We wouldn’t have made it this far without you pulling us along. Happy workplace anniversary!
20. A great boss who supports, understands, relates to every team member on a personal level, and helps to navigate challenges is hard to come by. You’re a rare gem of a person and a devoted and inspiring leader. I am so happy to be charting a professional path alongside you. Thank you for everything that you do.
21. Your commitment to your work, this company, and members of your team has been nothing short of exemplary. We owe so many of our successes to you and I can’t wait to see all the amazing projects you shepherd to life in the future. Here’s to many more wins!
Also Read: Sample Linkedin Recommendation Examples
22. Working under your leadership has been the most valuable career experience that anyone could ask for. I look forward to learning more from you and expanding my horizons. Thank you for the last X years and cheers to the next X!
23. I’ve always been wary of organizations and bosses that try to tout the workplace as a family. That was until I got to work with you and experience the joy of being part of a team that loves and values one another. I’m so proud to have you as a boss, but I’m even prouder to be able to call you a friend. Thank you!
24. It’s been a wonderful experience to work for a boss who’s so insightful, knowledgeable, talented, and incredibly skilled. Not a week goes by that I don’t get to learn something new and impactful from you. Thank you for being an amazing leader, motivator, and mentor.
Explore: Best Impromptu Speech Tips
25. You’re the epitome of hard work and leadership. Working alongside you has taught me so much, and I cannot thank you enough for your belief in me and the impact it made on my career growth. Thank you for always pushing us to do great work. Congratulations on your retirement. You will be terribly missed!
26. You have been the best boss and mentor anyone could ask for. Working with you these past five years has been one of the most positive and rewarding experiences of my life. Your support, advice, kindness, guidance, and encouragement have meant more to me than you know. Thank you for everything.
27. A kind, friendly, supportive, open-minded, and generous boss is hard to come by. Thank you for being that rare gem, for helping to grow my career, and for showing up for me in my personal life as well. No matter where I go or who I work with in the future, you will always remain in my heart.
Also Read: Best Mission Statement Examples
28. Thank you for being a great role model to me and so many others in the company. Although it pains me to have to say goodbye, I understand that your watch has ended—and a remarkable journey it was. I feel lucky for the time we got to work together and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
29. I know being a manager can be quite challenging, but you made it look easy. You had a knack for seeing the talent and potential buried inside a person and gently coaxing it out. I would not be where I am in my career right now without your hands and words nudging me forward. It’s time to rest now. Thanks for all that you’ve done.
30. You have been an exemplary manager and leader, and words cannot fully express how thankful I am to have had the utmost pleasure of working with you. I do not take the invaluable lessons you’ve taught me for granted and I hope to be able to pay it forward someday. I will miss you so much.
31. Although we have come to the end of our professional journey together, I want to thank you for being an amazing mentor to me over the years. Your support and guidance have meant a great deal to me and have helped shape me into a better person and employee. I will carry all that you’ve taught me with me everywhere.
Also Read: Fun Bio Examples
32. I love the energy you bring to the work environment every day whether it’s in person or virtually. Thank you for being the office’s goofball, ray of sunshine, and for inspiring us to keep going even during the difficult days. You’re a superstar!
33. You have been a guiding star to all of us at the office. I know this because we sometimes joke about how we would be a little lost without you. I certainly wouldn’t enjoy showing up for work every day if it weren’t for the environment you’ve created. I just wanted to say thank you for that.
34. Thank you for being such a great boss. It’s wonderful to know I can always rely on your talent, expertise, and wealth of knowledge to help solve challenges whenever they arise. I learn so much from you and I’m forever grateful for all the ways you show up for the team.
35. You never fail to go above and beyond for your team members and thanks to you, we’ve built a little work family that I’ve come to love and count on even outside of work. Thank you for being our favorite boss.
36. You’re a patient teacher and mentor, and are incredibly generous with your wisdom, energy, and time. You’ve made a huge difference in my life and career since I began working here, so thank you and thank you again for being the best boss.
37. With you mistakes are just an opportunity to learn something and random skills are something to be shaped and sharpened into core strengths. You have all of my admiration and respect. Thank you for your continued care and guidance.
38. What I admire most about your leadership is your decision-making and problem-solving skills. I know I can always come to you when I need help figuring out an issue and you’ll be there to guide me through it. Thank you for your precious advice and support.
39. This is just to say thank you for listening to my ideas, motivating me to trust my talents and instincts, and helping me see the bigger picture and learn from my mistakes. You are truly an inspiration!
40. I am incredibly lucky to be working with someone like you who can think outside the box and come up with solutions where none seems to exist. Thank you for your insights during the [X] crisis. I couldn’t have resolved the issue as efficiently without your help.
41. I just wanted to say that I really appreciated the time and care you took in helping me think through this project and work out the kinks. Thank you so much. I couldn’t wish for a better boss.
42. Thank you for always seeing my vision even when it’s not so clear to me, for recognizing my contributions even while showing me how I can do better. I am constantly inspired by your leadership and I look forward to learning more from you.
43. It’s an honor to work under a person with your exceptional skills and wealth of experience. Your direction and counsel have helped me more times than I can count and I have no doubt they will save me many more times in the future. Thanks for being a resourceful, multi-talented, and all-around fantastic boss.
Check Out: Best Professional Twitter Bio Examples
44. I do not exaggerate when I say that working with you has been an absolute pleasure. I am in awe of your can-do attitude and your willingness to think outside the box. You have shown the value of loving the work you do and letting it speak for you. Thank you and congratulations!
45. Congratulations on your well-deserved reward. You have worked incredibly hard to be where you are right now and I’m happy to see that your commitment has paid off in such a huge way. Thank you for being an inspiration to me and the whole team. You’re awesome!
46. In case it hasn’t been said in a while, I wanted to let you know how much we appreciate you and your role as our team lead. You deserve that award and all the recognition that comes with it. You’re an amazing leader and we’re always rooting for you.
47. Thank you for being a shining example of just how far hard work combined with talent can take you. Your great performance and astounding accomplishments are a constant inspiration to us all. Cheers to your latest win!
48. Heartfelt congratulations on your new job. You’ve been the driving force behind many of the successes we’ve pulled off as a team and that’s a testament to how amazing a manager you are. It has been an honor to work with you and I hope I get the pleasure again in the future. Thank you for the memories!
49. Congratulations on successfully coordinating our teams to deliver the X project before the agreed-upon deadline. You’re a remarkable leader that we all look up to for motivation. It took a lot of hard work from us all, but you received most of the heat for it. Congratulations once again.
50. Thank you for the advice you gave me today. It truly changed my perspective on the matter and allowed me to see things more clearly. I can’t wait to share the results with you in the coming months. Your assistance was deeply appreciated.
51. Great managers are a huge asset to any organization and you are one of them. Thank you for the dedication you bring to your work, which inspires me to pursue excellence in my job as well. Keep being awesome.
52. I just wanted to thank you for your support during the meeting. I really appreciate how you championed my ideas and stood solidly behind me. It means a great deal to know that I have you in my corner and that you’re there to guide and back me when I need it.
53. Every time I or someone else comes to you with our ideas, you always ask such great questions. Not because we’ve done a poor job of communicating, but to give us a chance to think more deeply and ensure that our thoughts are well understood. Thank you so much for that!
54. Thank you for initiating our new after-work activities. Having happy hour, game night, and other extracurricular activities have greatly impacted our team bonding, helped us get to know each other better, and our work is all the better for it. It’s lovely that you care a lot about our community.
55. Hi [X], I just wanted to let you know that interacting with you makes my day. You’re really brilliant and your jokes are hilarious and never fail to brighten the work environment. I think you’re super cool. It’s wonderful working with you.
People like to feel appreciated and saying thank you can go a long way in perking up someone’s day or week.
Taking the time to show gratitude can improve communication and foster a healthy professional relationship between you and your boss.
Whether you want to shoot your boss a quick email, send them a nice card, or a handwritten note, feel free to use any of these messages and personalize them to your liking.
Tom loves to write on technology, e-commerce & internet marketing. I started my first e-commerce company in college, designing and selling t-shirts for my campus bar crawl using print-on-demand. Having successfully established multiple 6 & 7-figure e-commerce businesses (in women’s fashion and hiking gear), I think I can share a tip or 2 to help you succeed.