VoIP chat applications like Teamspeak let gamers who live apart, whether across the street or two continents away, interact in real-time.
This technology helps online players and gaming enthusiasts remove the barriers of space and time as they interact, communicate, and compete.
Moreover, VoIP helps gamers improve their skills and offers them social benefits.
Real-time interactiveness is critical for an industry that’s growing this fast. In 2018 alone, eSports received $4.5 billion in investment money: more than 870 percent of what it received the previous year.
An industry awash with all that investment money must have competitive VoIP options. Right?
No doubt, Teamspeak delivers excellent audio quality and comes with advanced chat and security features. But you probably want something more or something else.
We get it. No product has it all.
Here’s our review of the ten best Teamspeak alternatives.
Mumble is a free, open-source, and high-quality VOIP application. This voice, chat, and communication tool is suitable for gamers.
Beyond gamers, this software has incredible features that cater to administrators and hosters. Mumble has low latency for voice communication. And the tool is optimized to process high data volume with minimal delay.
Mumble is available on multiple platforms and devices including for
- Windows, MacOS, and Linux
- iOS and Android (For third-party apps)
Although Mumble was primarily intended to serve gamers, the tool has applications in different environments.
With their multi-player audio recorder, users can record podcasts. Plus, their positional audio for gamers provides a realistic feel for players and enhances their gaming experience.
Mumble has capabilities to deliver value for specific user groups.
Gamers and Other End Users
Gaming communities, teams, and different workplaces adapt Mumble to suit their needs. Mumble allows large gaming communities to host more than 100 voice participants simultaneously. With their robust permission system, voice communication tool, and radio transmission, users can
- Collaborative play games using headsets
- Communicate across the globe and more
Furthermore, the tool has low latency and is cool for talking while gaming. Users can recognize teammates across servers.
Mumble has positional audio that allows users to locate in-game player positions. The in-game overlay lets you see the player that is talking, the frames per second, and the current time.
With this tool, gamers can maintain their privacy and stay secure. Communication on the platform is always encrypted. Mumble uses public and private key authentication by default to strengthen security.
Mumble experts are always available to guide you through every step such as
- Setting up your system
- Configuring your microphone
Administrators and Hosters
The Mumble software is open in technology, security, and extendability. There are no limitations, licensing issues, or caveats.
Administrators can own their data and their user’s data. With the extensive permission system, admins can navigate complex scenarios. For example, they can separate two user groups and communicate effectively with both groups.
Administrators can provide their users with added functionality using scripts and server APIs. Also, they can host music bots that connect to the server.
For hosters, Mumble has free software resources and a stable server. Plus, the administration can be automated using Ice middleware. Users can choose between using an official or third-party server software.
What Users Love About Mumble
Here’s why gamers love this tool
- Mumble is free and easy to use
- The tool is open-source and expandable
- Mumble has excellent audio quality
- The software has real low latency and users can enable in-game overlay
- Mumble is safe, secure, and end-to-end encryption
- Users can access the tool on a wide range of devices
Limitations of Using Mumble
Here are some of the drawbacks of this tool
- Users may experience occasional system reboots
- For new users, the software can be difficult to set up.
Mumble is free
Discord is an excellent Teamspeak alternative and popular choice among gamers. The software lets friends, art, and gaming communities communicate over text, voice, and video.
With the voice, chat, and third-party integrations, gamers can enjoy their entertainment experience.
Discord was created in 2015. Today, the platform has about 56 million monthly players, and up to 963 million messages are sent every day. Discord is available for download on Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android devices.
If you don’t want to download the app, you can access Discord on your browser using the web client.
Discord is an open-source platform and was principally made for gamers. However, developers and engineers use this excellent platform for open-source projects.
Discord allows users to create servers for their projects, join servers, and communities. For example, Discord is dominated by gaming servers and communities.
Within the server, users can transfer server ownership, set up server permissions, and create channels to discuss different topics.
Server and channel members can communicate via voice, text, and video. They can also share links, files, images, audio files, and more.
Users can call and start group messages, send out invites, and join voice channels. Also, you can start video and audio calls from DM or Group Message.
With the Go Live feature, users can stream a game in a server voice channel for up to 50 server members. More so, users can enable in-game overlay.
Discord supports integration with a wide range of tools, including Skype, Facebook, Twitter, Spotify, Xbox Twitch, and more.
With the Spotify connection, users can invite friends and can see what they listening to, play Spotify tracks, and listen along.
What Users Love About Discord
- The platform is open-source and easy to set up.
- The software has a beautiful, simple, and user-friendly interface.
- Discord has a mobile client and supports push notification.
- Users can create unlimited servers for free.
- Discord supports integration with multiple third-party applications.
- Gamers can use the web client to access Discord without downloading the software.
- Excellent audio and video quality
- Software is available on multiple platforms.
- Discord protects the user’s IP address from potential DDoS attacks.
Limitations of Using Discord
- Free versions support limited file transfers
- Discord does not support audio recording
- There are no dedicated servers
- Servers are only available in select regions
Discord has free and paid plans. The paid plans include
1.Discord Nitro Classic- $4.99 per month
Users will enjoy
- Higher video quality
- Upgraded upload limit (up to 50MB)
- Global customized emojis
- Animated funs
- Customized Discord tag
- Improved Go Live streams
2. Discord Nitro – $9.99 per month
User will enjoy the perks of the Discord Nitro Classic plus
- Server Boost
- Upgraded upload limit (up to 100MB)
Steam is a live and interactive gaming platform with VoIP capabilities. With this tool, millions of game enthusiasts connect every day to chat, interact, learn, and create entertainment.
Steam has a robust community of over 100 million people. Users can form clans, join groups, meet new people, chat in-game, and more. This platform is home to nearly 30,000 games.
The tool is available on Windows, MacOS, and Linux devices. The Steam Chat mobile app allows users to keep up with conversations on the go. Also, users can see who is playing, chat, tweet, and more. With the Steam app, you can
- Manage and protect your account
- Shop for software
- Keep up with the games and the community
Both apps are available for download on the Apple app store and Google Playstore.
Steam chat allows users to interact and talk with friends or groups using voice or text. Steam chat supports GIFs, tweets, and videos. Steam gives users access to games as they evolve.
The Steam game hub allows you to access everything about your game in one place. You can start and join discussions, upload content, and get notifications about new updates.
With the Steam broadcast, you can live-stream your gameplay at the click of a button. Also, this tool allows users to share their games with teammates, friends, and the entire community.
The Steam workshop is home to player-created cosmetics mods and content for about 1000 games. So you can create, discover, and download cosmetic mods to enhance your gaming experience.
Steam support client supports up to 28 languages. Plus, gamers can easily make purchases on the platform. Their shop supports more than 100 payment methods and over 35 currencies.
What Users Love About Steam
- Steam has a clean and beautiful user interface.
- The mobile apps allow users to communicate while on the move.
- Steam chat is easy to use and multimedia friendly. It supports video, audio, and GIFs.
- The audio and video quality is excellent.
- Users can create and send link invites to friends.
- They provide content and cosmetic mods that will improve your gaming experience.
Limitations of using Steam
- Steam doesn’t have positional audio.
- Users cannot record audio or podcasts.
The Steam platform is free. However, users can make in-app purchases for games and other tools.
Ventrilo is an incredible Voice over IP (VoIP) group communications software for gamers.
This tool offers special sound effects, and sound positioning on three levels including
- Channel level
- Server or global configuration level
Users have the option to customize and adjust sounds from other events or users. Ventrilo has superior sound quality, low latency, and utilizes minimal CPU resources.
So, it doesn’t interfere with normal computer operations during games or competitions.
The software is available on Windows and MacOS devices.
Ventrilo allows gamers to communicate with multiple users and servers. It supports cross channel communication and user-to-user conversations via voice and text.
Aside from its simple user interface and exceptional audio quality, the tool is easy to use.
Ventrilo uses an encrypted client-server based connection and the tool does not collect or store user data. Text, communications, and audio recordings are stored locally on the client’s computer.
Ventrilo Servers are hosted in secure data centers across the globe. Using these data centers offers immense benefits including
- Improved server security
- Power backup
- Adequate internet bandwidth
- Maximum uptime
Other features include
- Option to display music information from Spotify, Windows Media Player, iTunes, and Winamp
- Multiple platform support for servers and clients
- Admin server restrictions
- Voice note and stream recording
- In-built server browser
- Adjustable audio and sound effects and more
What Users Love About Ventrilo
- The software has a simple user interface
- Ventrilo has superior sound quality
- The tool supports audio recordings and playback
- Ventrilo offers multiple platform support for servers and clients
Limitations of Using Ventrilo
- User may experience low latency issues
- You must rent or purchase a server to utilize Ventrilo’s VoIP tool
- No client for the Linux operating system
Ventrilo is free for download. However, you must purchase a server to communicate with other clients.
Overtone is a free game communication platform powered by Vivox. The downloadable text, chat, and voice app allow gamers to communicate while playing their favorite game.
With Overtone, players, developers, gaming community members, and leaders, casual, and pros can interact for better gaming. The integrated voice platform has 99.9 percent uptime and over 100 game integrations.
More so, Overtone has a reliable voice performance and over 100 million users. Plus, the software is available for downloads on Windows.
If you don’t want to download the software, you can access the application via the web.
The tool makes it easy for players to form gaming communities, groups, and teams. Gaming teams play together and achieve better coordination.
With this tool, users can communicate with teammates and other players via voice or text. Players can launch into games with their teammates and friends. Also, they can establish new connections inside the game.
Overtone allows users to make private calls, group calls, and launch large game parties. This tool gives participants total control over their voice experience.
Users get to decide who they want to listen to, who they want to mute, and whose volume should be louder.
Users can discover where other people are chatting from and friends with similar gaming interests. Overtone is built to provide gamers with tools that’ll enhance the gaming experience.
What Users Love About Overtone
- The user interface is beautiful and straightforward
- The software supports positional audio
- Voice and audio quality is excellent
- Users can run the program on their web browsers without the need to download the application.
Limitations of Using Overtone
- Users cannot record audio or live streams
- Overtone does not have a mobile app or desktop application for MacOS
Overtone is free.
Skype is a popular VoIP communication software. With this tool, large teams and groups can interact and share resources across chat, audio, and video calls.
The software is safe, secure, and available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. Plus, the tool is available for Android and iOS mobile devices. Skype allows users to connect to friends via the web without downloading the software.
Skype allows users to host video or audio conferences with up to 50 people. The software offers crystal clear audio and HD video during one-on-one and group calls.
Users can share important files including images, videos, and documents.
With integrated screen sharing, users can seamlessly share their game screen during calls. They can record calls, note essential decisions, and use subtitles to read spoken words. Skype offers industry-standard end-to-end encryption to protect sensitive conversations.
What Users Love About Skype
- The software has a user-friendly interface
- Skype offers end-to-end encryption
- Users can record calls and use subtitles to improve conversations
- Skype supports multiple device types
- You can use skype without downloading the software
Limitations of Using Skype
- Skype is not well optimized for gaming when compared to Teamspeak
- The software takes up large amounts of bandwidth
Skype is free.
Riot is an open-source VoIP communication platform for gamers and teams.
The software is built using the matrix protocol. It is an open network, open standard, and is secure for decentralized communication.
If you want to own your data, you can host your server. The tool is available in 25 languages. Also, it is available for download on Windows, MacOS, and Linux devices.
Furthermore, users can access Riot apps using their mobile device. The software is available on the Apple app store, Google Play Store, and F-Droid store. Teams can also access the tool on their web browser.
Riot allows users to hold one-on-one chats, group, and team chats.
Communities can create and organize their rooms, share ideas, file, and embed widgets. Teams can make voice and video calls and group calls.
Riot is secure. The software offers end-to-end encryption and ensures that private communication remains private. Also, users can configure their servers and move them at any time.
What Users Love About Riot
- User-friendly interface
- Supports collaboration across large teams
- Riot is available on a wide range of devices
- Users can access the tool on the web without downloading the software
Limitations of using Riot
- The software has limited gaming collaboration capabilities
- User will experience low latency issues
Riot is free.
Battle.net is an online gaming and VoIP communication software. This platform is powered by Blizzard Entertainment, a company that has been around since 1994.
With this tool, gaming professionals can connect and interact with friends and fellow gamers.
Battle.net is a top choice for esports gamers. It hosts over 60 million players. Plus, it is available for Windows and Mac devices as well as Android and iOS mobile devices.
With the mobile app, you can get in touch with fellow gamers and friends on the go.
Blizzard supports leading eSports competitions such as
- Overwatch League
- Overwatch World Cup
- Hearthstone Grandmasters
- Tespa Collegiate Series, and more
Battle.net lets core gamers shop for digital games, goodies, and expansions directly from the app. Also, users can seamlessly access in-game items such as pets, loot boxes, mounts, and more.
With the gaming tool, you can easily make new friends and see the games they are playing. Plus, users can communicate with their fellow gamers via the mobile desktop chat.
Players can join gaming groups and communities to discuss strategies, fix game times, or just hang out.
The inbuilt voice communication makes it easy for gaming teams to coordinate their play. Right from the battle.net app, users can exchange in-game items and digital gifts with friends.
Also, users are welcome to try games for free. Gamers can stay up to date with the latest updates and more.
What Users Love About Battle.net
- Blizzard has a wide range of games and Esport competitions
- The software is user-friendly
- Clean user interface
- The software is available for multiple platforms, including Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS devices
Limitations of Using Battle.net
- You may experience audio quality issues
- Chat options are limited. You cannot chat with random people.
- The software doesn’t support audio recording
The mobile app is free. Users can also access some games for free.
Kosmi is a free communication tool that allows friends and strangers to watch videos, play games, and interact with each other.
Without installing the app, users can chat and socialize over text, voice, and video calls.
This software revolves around chat rooms with extensive features. The software offers webcam and microphone support, and users can invite other players using a link.
Team members can share their screen, video, and audio with other members of the team. Also, they can share live video streams, games, and applications.
What Users Love About Kosmi
- The software is easy to set up
- Kosmi offers chat, voice, and video capabilities
- Users can run real-time applications such as emulators, games, and synchronized videos
Limitations of using Kosmi
- Users may experience poor audio quality
- No positional audio
- Kosmi doesn’t provide end to end encryption
The software is free.
Tox is a free and easy-to-use VoIP communication tool for teams and peer groups. With this tool, friends and teammates can interact and discuss a wide range of gaming topics and activities.
The software is available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, and iOS devices. Plus, users can access the solution on the web.
Tox allows users to create chat rooms and groups, add teammates, and collaborate effectively. This software supports text, chat, voice, and video communication.
Users can get in touch and share gaming updates with the gang via voice or video calls.
Also, this tool allows users to share desktop screens with their friends as well as share files without limits.
One of the stand-out features of this tool is that it is encrypted using open-source libraries. Plus, it has distributed servers, so data is safe and secure.
What Users Love About Tox
- The platform has a simple user interface
- The software is free and open-source
- Tox has military-grade, end-to-end encryption and is a secure tool for gamers
- Users can access the tool on multiple platforms, including their web browser
Limitations of using Tox
- User may experience issues with audio quality
- No positional audio feature
- Low latency issues may occur
Tox is a free and open-source tool.
Conclusion: What’s The Best Teamspeak Alternative
In this article, we have reviewed the ten best Teamspeak alternatives and the tools we have listed are guaranteed to drive meaningful interactions.
VoIP tools like Teamspeak and Discord stand out amongst their peers. Discord has steadily optimized its software to deliver value to gaming communities.
The software offers low latency and provides excellent audio and video quality. Users can chat, call, and interact via video.
Also, Discord is supported across many platforms and it protects users’ IP addresses from potential DDoS attacks.
If you are looking for a tool that will improve your gaming experience, Discord is the perfect fit.
Tom loves to write on technology, e-commerce & internet marketing. I started my first e-commerce company in college, designing and selling t-shirts for my campus bar crawl using print-on-demand. Having successfully established multiple 6 & 7-figure e-commerce businesses (in women’s fashion and hiking gear), I think I can share a tip or 2 to help you succeed.