Looking for free ways to browse the web on your Roku device? You’re in the right place.
In this guide, we’ll dive deep into the top Roku web browser free options available. Let’s get started.
Is there a Web Browser for Roku TV?
Roku doesn’t offer a built-in web browser. But don’t sweat it. You can still access the web on Roku using screen mirroring from devices like your smartphone or computer.
How does screencasting work? It lets you cast a smartphone, PC, or tablet to a Roku device so you can play your favorite music, watch videos, access other sites, and more.
Additionally, apps like Web Video Caster let you stream web content right to your Roku TV.
Just note: browsing on Roku might not be as seamless as on a PC or phone. Some folks might opt for other devices for a smoother web experience.
Ways to Get A Web Browser on Roku TV
1. Web Video Caster – Free Web Browser Option for Roku
Web Video Caster isn’t your typical Roku browser.
Instead, it’s a robust platform built for streaming web videos straight to your Roku TV.
Web Video Caster is also feature-packed, with tons of movies and TV shows for itself. It supports all video formats and can automatically capture the subtitles of the movies being streamed.
This app also supports various streaming devices, so your Roku TV can directly stream videos from the web.
Through the integrated OpenSubtitles website, you can download all the subtitles you want. And you’ll also be able to cast your videos from your iOS and Android devices to this browser, which gives you an upscale browsing experience but on a larger screen.
Bookmark your favorite sites, create a Home Screen shortcut, and even view your watch history with Web Video Caster and enjoy flawless access and viewing. The user interface is pretty intuitive.
You can browse websites, stream live, watch TV shows, movies, videos, and more.
It supports audio and photo files, allowing you to send loads of images and videos.
The browser also supports Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, DLNA receivers, and much more. Its premium version comes with additional features and perks like creating playlists, personalizing the home screen, bookmarking, and more.
Web Video Caster is free to download on Roku TV.
To install Web Video Caster on Roku TV, here’s the quick guide:
- Head over to the Roku Channel Store on your device or jump directly to the Web Video Caster – Receiver app page.
- Hit “Add Channel” to queue up the app.
- Find the newly added channel on your Roku home screen and open it.
- Grab the Web Video Caster app from Google play store here or Apple app store here.
- Launch the app and tap “Connect”.
- Spot your Roku device or TV from the list, and tap “Connect”.
You’re all set! Now, you can cast videos straight from your phone or tablet to your Roku TV. Just surf and play videos in the app, and they’ll show up on your TV.
2. Firefox via Screencast
Firefox is an excellent browser available for all devices, including smartphones, PCs, TVs, and more. It’s a popular app from Mozilla to help you stream your videos on Roku TV. People love it for its privacy and security.
Firefox is a powerful app that connects seamlessly to Roku devices. All you have to do is install it on your mobile phone, register using your email address, and link it to your Roku device.
It works better when your mobile phone and Roku use the same WiFi connection or network. This way, it’ll be easier to search for streaming sites and stream all your favorite TV shows, series, live channels, sports, news, and more.
With Firefox, you can move the search bar wherever you want on the dashboard.
Its interface is pretty clean. It enables you to share website links and stream high-quality videos in multiple formats, including MOV, M4V, MP4, and MKV.
Want Firefox on your Roku TV? There is no option for users to download Firefox directly to their Roku device. But don’t fret; screen mirroring offers a workaround. Here are the steps:
- Activate screen mirroring on your Roku.
- On your Windows PC, head to Start > Settings.
- Navigate to System > Display.
- Under “Multiple Displays”, hit Connect near “Wireless display”.
- Choose your Roku from the device list.
- Launch Firefox on your PC, and it’ll project onto your Roku TV.
3. Opera via Screencast
Opera is an excellent web browser for Roku that allows you to get instant access and various surf sites. It’s a popular browser with millions of users worldwide.
Opera is compatible with all platforms and devices, including smartphones, PCs, and TVs, including Roku TV. With it, you can browse whatever site you want. It is among the safest browsers available.
You can browse privately and securely on Opera, and it will hide your data through a VPN. It offers multiple language support and has an Ad blocker that minimizes ads to give you a seamless surfing experience.
Its data save mode feature enables faster browsing even when your internet is slow. It allows you to save your browsing history, too.
With Opera, you can open online shopping platforms, carry out transactions using your credit cards, and even save your passwords confidently without worrying about the security of your information.
Compared to other browsers, this one uses less processing capacity. You can also chat while browsing using the built-in messenger and work efficiently with multiple tabs open.
It has dark and light themes which you can customize to your preference. Opera allows you the benefit of browsing privately with a virtual IP address that hides your location.
If you have files, notes, and links you need to send to other devices, you can do so instantly on the Opera browser. It’s also easy to synchronize on any device.
Opera is not available as a standalone app on the Roku Channel Store.
If you want to use Opera on Roku, you can do that by using screen mirroring. You can cast Opera from your computer right onto your Roku TV. Here’s how to do it:
- First, make sure screen mirroring is active on your Roku.
- On your Windows PC, hit Start and choose Settings.
- Head to System, then Display.
- Look for Scale & Layout and click on Multiple Displays.
- Choose Connect, right next to ‘Connect to a wireless display.’
- Pick your Roku Player from the available devices.
- Fire up Opera on your PC, and voila, it’s on your Roku TV.
Just a heads up: using a browser on Roku might not be as slick as on your regular devices. Some might prefer dedicated devices for web browsing.
4. Safari Browser via Screencast
Safari is another graphical internet browser from Apple. It’s popularly used on Apple products like iPhones, iPads, and Macs.
You can find this web browser on the Roku store and add it to your Roku TV for surfing the web. It’s a fast enough browser that gives you seamless browsing and transition experience with enough privacy and security.
It comes with a minimalist user interface that’s easy to navigate and a clean visual style free from clutter.
For web browsing using Safari, consider screen mirroring from your devices.
5. Google Chrome via Screencast
Google Chrome isn’t directly available on Roku TV.
Instead, you can mirror it from a compatible device like a smartphone or PC.
This means you cast your Chrome browser to Roku, letting you surf on a bigger screen.
However, the experience might not be as fluid as using Chrome on your computer.
For a potentially smoother experience on Roku, consider alternatives like Web Browser X or POPRISM Web Browser.
Also Read: Is Opera GX Safe? Tips to Use Opera GX
Roku Browsers FAQs
How to Cast a Web Browser from the iPhone to a Roku Device?
Source: Oleg Magni from Pexels
Roku now supports Apple. This implies that you may cast your iPad, iPhone, or Macbook to select Roku 4K devices. Screen mirroring enables you to project anything on the screen of your iPhone directly onto your television.
- On your iPhone, open the Control Center. Drag down from the top corner of the iPhone display. Swipe off the lower part of your screen on the iPhone.
- After that, touch on Screen Mirroring. This will be shown by a sign having two rectangles placed on top of each other. Depending on your Control Center configuration, you might not see any words.
- Choose your Roku device.
- After selecting the Roku device, you will see a code shown on your television.
- Then, on your iPhone, enter the number from your television.
- Finally, press OK to connect the iPhone to your Roku via a mirroring app.
At any time, you can pause mirroring by clicking the Home button on the Roku remote.
Alternatively, you can return to your iPhone’s Control Center, choose Screen Synchronization, and then press Stop Mirroring.
If you’re experiencing difficulty casting your iPhone to Roku, check if the device is compatible with AirPlay.
How to Cast a Web Browser from Mac OS to Roku?
Source: energepic from Pexels
To cast Mac OS to your Roku TV, use a tool known as Mirror for Roku. The tool is created for TVs that run on Roku OS, so it’s an excellent option to mirror Mac to Roku.
Here are the steps:
- Download and install Mirror for Roku on your Mac.
- Open this app and start searching for a nearby Roku device.
- After the Mac discovers the Roku device, click connect.
- Start casting anything from the MacBook to Roku TV.
How to Cast a Web Browser from Android Devices to Roku?
To cast an internet browser from an Android tablet or phone to a Roku device, follow these steps:
- Go to the Android device’s settings and click Display.
- Select Cast Screen.
- Next, enable Cast toggle; you’ll be asked to turn on Bluetooth and WiFi for a wireless connection.
- The android device will start a search and display a nearby Roku device.
- After finding your device, click Connect.
- Once the connection is established, whatever you do on the Android device reflects on the Roku device.
You can now play videos on Netflix, YouTube, or Amazon Prime. You can also surf the internet or play downloaded videos on the big screen.
Also Read: Best Gaming Browsers
How to Connect and Activate Your Roku Streaming Device?
When you first use your Roku device or Roku TV, you’ll also need to establish or activate a Roku account via an activation link delivered to the email account you provide.
Here are the steps to follow.
- Connect the device to the internet.
- Fill up your email address when prompted.
- Log in with the email address linked with your Roku account if you already have one.
- If you’re setting up a Roku account, you’ll be prompted to include a payment option before activating Roku Pay.
- Access your inbox via computer or smartphone and look for the email from Roku containing the activation link
- Open the Roku email and click the activation link.
- Follow the instructions on the Roku site and create a personal Roku account or sign in to an existing one.
Can You Use a USB drive to Install Web Browser on Roku TV?
Thinking about using a USB drive to install a web browser on your Roku TV?
Installing a web browser on a Roku TV using a USB drive is not possible, as Roku devices don’t let you install apps from external sources like USB drives.
Can You Watch Regular Television on a Roku TV?
Source: Max Harlynking from unsplash.com
Local channels are available on Roku through third-party apps, the Roku Channel Store, or an antenna. The Roku Channel Store provides you with most of the local channels.
You can view local stations on your Roku if you have a tv subscription and use the service’s app.
How to Get Google Chrome on Roku?
Roku does not support Google Chrome. You can attempt screencasting to get a similar internet browsing experience to Chrome.
This requires downloading and installing Chrome on your smartphone, tablet, or computer, followed by casting it on your Roku TV.
Also Read: Best Browsers For Zoom Meetings
How To Get A Web Browser On Roku TV – Final Word
In summary, we have mentioned several robust free options for web browsing on Roku.
While Roku doesn’t support a native browser, these top picks ensure users can still explore the web efficiently.
Always choose the option that aligns best with your needs and enjoy a seamless browsing experience on your Roku device.
Tom loves to write on technology, e-commerce & internet marketing. I started my first e-commerce company in college, designing and selling t-shirts for my campus bar crawl using print-on-demand. Having successfully established multiple 6 & 7-figure e-commerce businesses (in women’s fashion and hiking gear), I think I can share a tip or 2 to help you succeed.