Technology has revolutionized the way consumers access products and services. Consumers agree that speed and convenience matter to them and the on-demand business model is meeting the needs of these consumers.
Even the print-on-demand industry is not left out.
The print on demand industry has become a goldmine for individuals who have a flair for beautiful designs. Shoppers can order these gorgeous designs on t-shirts, hoodies, and other products, and the creatives behind these designs can earn income for their work.
Print on demand businesses connect artists with shoppers and allow them to monetize their art.
Design By Humans and Redbubble are leading print-on-demand platforms. They have a rich catalog of products and artwork from talented artists and creatives.
In this article, we will compare both POD services to help you make the best choice.
Related: Best Print On Demand Sites
Design By Humans (DBH) is a print-on-demand company and eCommerce platform. This platform offers opportunities for artists and designers to ignite their creative spark.
Gamers, musicians, and content producers can tell their stories by showcasing their designs on products such as
- Wall prints
- Phone cases
- Home and living accessories and more
Design By Humans was created in 2007 by Jason Gutierrez and Matt Gutierrez. Their operational base is in Chico, California.
Design By Humans has a vibrant community of creatives. The company hosts more than 30,000 creatives, designers, artists, and influencers from more than 180 countries.
Furthermore, it offers multiple opportunities for artists to earn income for their work. They can receive royalties when their designs are sold on different items.
Design By Humans frequently hosts design contests, special events, and charity contests and they offer cash rewards for winners of these contests.
With Design By Humans, artists can create licensed fan merchandise from popular influencers and brands.
Explore: Redbubble Review
Redbubble is a leading eCommerce platform for print-on-demand products.
Peter Styles, Martin Hosting, and Paul Vanzella founded the company in 2006 and their headquarters is in Melbourne, Australia.
On the Redbubble platform, artists can showcase their arts. And they will earn royalties for their creative designs when customers purchase products with their designs on them.
The Redbubble partner program allows artists to create and sell licensed fan art designs from well-known brands.
Customers can explore designs and order unique prints on a wide range of products including
- Male, female, and children’s clothing
- Wall art
- Phone cases
- Gift items and more
Redbubble offers printing, order fulfillment, and shipping services to customers globally. They have a forum and global community of more than 700,000 content creators including
- Freelance artists
Design By Humans has a couple of partner programs to help artists earn more income.
Also Read: Printify vs Redbubble
Design By Humans hosts art and design competitions for content creators. Winners in exclusive event contests and creatives who participate in charity event contests get cash rewards. When an artist submits his design entry, Design By Humans vets the design and approves it. They send the artwork to the DBH community.
Design By Humans choose winners for the exclusive contests based on criteria such as
- Reviews, evaluations, and input from DBH’s art team
Design By Humans allows graphic designers to create licensed fan arts and merchandise. They have established strategic partnerships with famous brands and influencers including
- Assassins Creed
- Sea of Thieves
- Overcooked II
- Star Trek
Each of the featured brands has a set of design guidelines that artists must follow. Artists can create a t-shirt design using the instructions in the design brief. After the design, they can submit a product mockup and a high-resolution art design for any of the featured brands and their game characters.
Design By Humans will select the designs that follow the laid out rules and they will send them to the featured brands for approval.
DBH will sell all approved designs in their officially licensed store for that brand. The artist will earn standard royalties every time a shopper buys a product with that design.
This program lets content creators receive royalties from sales from multiple sources, including:
- Amazon.com Marketplaces
- Amazon.com Merch on Demand
- Google Express
Explore: CustomCat vs Printful vs Redbubble
DBH has an online marketplace where artists can sell their designs to people across the globe.
Furthermore, they offer a customized storefront where artists can sell products including
- Art prints
- Phone cases
Store owners can customize their stores to suit their tastes. They can access sales statistics and view the amount of traffic coming to their store.
Just create your store, upload your designs, and promote your store within a few minutes. Design By Humans will do all the hard work. They process transactions, print products, and ship to customers. More so, they handle customer service, product returns, and exchanges.
Beyond artists, this program offers incredible value for gamers, entertainers, and YouTubers. DBH connects content creators, streamers, game developers, and entertainers to their fans. They can monetize their traffic by creating and selling custom products to their audience and fans.
DBH allows artists and designers to maintain 100 percent ownership of their work.
Redbubble’s partner program is in two forms. The marketplace and fan artist designs.
Redbubble has a free platform and global marketplace for freelance artists and designers. This platform helps thousands of artists connect to audiences and monetize their art.
Redbubble has a broad catalog of high-quality products including
- Device cases
- Vinyl stickers
- Posters and more
Artists can create amazing designs and place them on the products. They can add your design title, descriptions, and tags.
The platform has share buttons where artists can share their work on social media. Also, they can choose to make their artwork private or public.
After the design, the artist can add his price markup and publish it. So when a customer buys the product with that design on it, the artist earns revenue from the margin.
Designers can select the products that their design should appear on and the markup price.
Redbubble allows users to retain ownership of their designs and work regardless of the number of products they upload and sell. Artists on Redbubble currently enjoy as much as a 17 percent average margin on the retail price.
When customers purchase your products, Redbubble handles payments, printing, and delivery. They also manage product returns, exchanges, and other issues that may arise.
Check Out: Society6 vs Redbubble
This program allows creatives to design and sell licensed fan art for successful brands.
Redbubble has partnered with known brands to help superfan artists earn income for licensed designs. Some of the well-known brands that have engaged in this program include
- Star Trek
- Rick and Morty
- Subway Surfers
- Steven Universe
- Samurai Jack
- The Venture Bros
- Johnny Bravo
- Jurassic World
- Dexter’s Laboratory and more
Each of the brands has its own design rules and guidelines. Artists must become familiar with these guidelines to increase their chances of getting into the program.
They can create their design based on the instructions of the rights holders and upload it to Redbubble. Redbubble will submit the artwork to the brands for review and licensing.
When the brands complete their evaluation and license your designs, Redbubble will send you a confirmation and approval email.
Creating fan arts for licensed brands will not distort your artist margin. You will enjoy full ownership and payment for every product sale with that design.
Both Redbubble and Design By Humans have partner programs that offer incredible value. But, Design By Humans allows artists to create and customize their storefront. The platform has social media integration and will enable artists to share their products and designs on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest.
Design By Humans also has design contests and they offer cash rewards to winners. Therefore, Design By Humans is the winner.
Design By Humans has a rich catalog of products from artists and popular brands. Some of the product categories include:
- Men’s, women’s, and children’s apparel
- Home and Living items
- Accessories (mouse pads, phone cases, backpacks, coffee mugs)
- Gift items
- Posters and art prints
Also Read: Zazzle vs Redbubble
Redbubble has over 70 products in its product catalog. Also, they have millions of designs created by independent artists. Some of the product categories you will find on the platform include:
- Clothing (men, women, children, and babies)
- Phone Cases
- Wall Art
- Home and living items
- Stationery and gift items
Designs By Humans and Redbubble have a broad catalog of products. Therefore they are both winners.
Design By Humans has a rich assortment of designs and fan art from
- DBH artists
- Content creators
Redbubble has more than one million designs from artists, content creators, and designers.
Both Humans By Designs and Redbubble are winners. They have a rich library of incredible art designs that shoppers can choose from.
Explore: Threadless vs Redbubble
Design By Humans allows artists to customize their storefront to suit their needs. They offer an artwork template to help artists prepare their artwork. When their artwork is ready, they can add the product to their store.
Content creators can customize designs for apparel, phone cases, art prints, and stickers. They can upload the artwork image, choose colors, and adjust the design placement properly.
Customers can select apparel style, available color, and size before purchase. Furthermore, they have a size guide to help customers choose the best fit.
Shoppers can access other products from that customized store.
Redbubble allows artists to upload and place artwork on print sections. They can increase design size, add product colors, and rotate designs.
Before purchase, customers can select product colors and sizes. Redbubble has a design guide for customers. Customers can access product information, product reviews, and ratings.
Design By Humans and Redbubble have similar customization options, but DBH scores a slight win because it provides an artwork template to help artists create the perfect designs.
When customers purchase products with your designs, Design By Humans helps you handle the rest.
They help customers process transactions, print production, and ship orders to their locations. Furthermore, users can track their order status by inputting the order number, billing email, and postal code.
Also, they process payments on behalf of artists and content creators.
Redbubble offers order fulfillment and processing services. They print and ship your order to your location.
When shoppers buy an item from the store, Redbubble forwards your order confirmation details to their global print partners. They also send the order confirmation to the customer’s email for tracking purposes.
To track their order status, customers must send a tracking request to Redbubble.
Redbubble also helps artists manage critical processes, including order returns, exchanges, shipping, payment, and customer service.
Both Design By Humans and Redbubble are winners. They provide order processing and fulfillment services.
Furthermore, they help artists handle product returns and exchanges and customers can track their order status on both platforms.
Design By Humans uses Direct to Garment (DTG) printing and screen printing to give customers the best printing quality. They have made massive investments in their printing technology and over the years, they have perfected their printing process.
Design By Humans uses DTG printing to print designs on t-shirt blanks.
DTG technology uses modified inkjet technology to print on textiles and garments. The DTG printer has a transport mechanism that applies a special ink directly on the textile. The fibers of the textile absorb the ink and make the design durable.
The maximum size of clothing that a DTG machine can print is 14.8 inches wide, and 18 inches tall.
When a buyer places an order, DBH transforms the artist’s designs using automated tools. They convert the artist’s PNG and RGB image file into a CMYK TIFF image before printing the garment.
Redbubble is committed to delivering high-quality prints on apparel and accessories. When a customer purchases an item, Redbubble forwards the order details to their print providers for printing.
Redbubble has an extensive network of third-party print providers. These third-party printers use Direct to Garment (DTG) technology to print designs on clothing.
The DTG printing technology involves applying a pretreatment on the garment before it is loaded on the printer.
This technology uses inkjets to spray the inks onto the clothing. This print method allows the prints to sink into the fibers of the textile and make them durable and last a long time.
Design By Humans does not outsource garment printing to a third-party print provider. They handle the entire print process in- house. Also, they provide two printing technologies, including digital printing and screen printing, so Design By Humans is the winner.
Explore: Redbubble vs Spreadshirt
Design By Humans ships products to about 108 countries every year with rates starting at $4. They offer domestic and international shipping and delivery.
- Standard – Estimated delivery time frame is between three to ten days
- Express – Two days
- Overnight – Next day
- Standard – Seven to ten days
- Express – Two to five weeks
- Overnight – Two to nine days
The shipping options and estimated delivery time frame depend on the type of product. Delivery timeframe may differ due to service delays, holidays, weather, or customs charges.
Customers who purchase apparel will enjoy access to all shipping options. As of the time of this writing, Design By Humans offered free global shipping on clothing orders above $75.
Design By Humans relies on FedEx and other service providers to deliver products globally.
Redbubble partners with a network of shipping service providers including
They offer two major shipping options including the Standard and Express shipping methods. Shipping costs vary based on factors including
- Chosen shipping method
- Packaging type
- Shipment location
- Delivery location
- Type of packaging
- Order type (single or bulk orders)
Design By Humans and Redbubble rely on third party shipping services for worldwide delivery. So they are both winners.
Design By Humans offers email and live chat support options. Also, they have an extensive knowledge base, including FAQs and blog articles. DBH has an active community of content creators, gamers, artists, and designers.
Redbubble provides multiple support options, including Twitter, live chat, and email support. They have a rich knowledge base containing useful blog articles and FAQs.
Redbubble has an active design and creative community on Facebook and Instagram.
Both platforms offer similar customer support options. Plus, they have an active design community. Design By Humans and Redbubble are winners.
Design By Humans has a simple earning model for artists and designers. They receive a flat rate for royalties based on each product sold.
- Apparel – starts at $3
- Phone cases – starts at $3.50
- Art prints- starts at $2.50
- Framed art prints – starts at $3.00
- Mugs – starts at $2.50
- Stickers – starts at $0.50
Retail pricing on Redbubble depends on two core factors. The base price for products and the artist margin.
- The base price comprises the production cost and service charge.
- Artist Margin is the percentage markup on the base price. At Redbubble, the artist has complete control of his earnings. They can increase and reduce their markups
If a shirt shipped to California has a base price of $200. The artist margin at 25 percent markup will be $50.
The retail price for the shirt will be the base price plus the artist margin. So, the retail price for the shirt will be $200 plus $50, which is $250.
Explore: Redbubble vs Teespring
Design By Humans has a pricing model that offers more value for shoppers. Shoppers can purchase products with great designs at a cheaper rate. Although artists will earn less revenue for royalties, they will sell more designs.
Redbubble’s pricing model offers more value for designers and artists. They can control their markup and earn more money for royalties. However, this model increases item prices, and so artists may sell fewer designs.
Both Design By Humans and Redbubble are winners.
Here is why artists and shoppers love this platform
- The platform is easy to use.
- Design By Humans has a rich catalog of products and designs
- They have various opportunities for artist and content creators to earn income
- DBH can promote independent artists on their social media channels, email newsletters, and homepage.
- Like other print on demand platforms, Design By Humans enables users to earn royalties for each POD product sold.
- Artists, content creators, and YouTubers can create their storefront and sell products and artworks
- They provide an art design template to help content creators create amazing designs
- Design By Humans provides email and LiveChat support and an extensive resource base
- They have an active forum and community of creatives
- The platform is foolproof
- Redbubble has a robust product and design inventory
- Redbubble is among the best print on demand online marketplaces for making passive income.
- Merchants are provided with myriads of POD products to customize and sell.
- Independent artists are provided with a vibrant online marketplace to sell their arts to millions of users.
- Customer service is responsive. They respond to complaints on third-party review sites
- Redbubble has a rich knowledge base of articles to help users navigate the app
- They offer live chat, email, and Twitter support options
- Artists can set their margin for each design and control the amount they earn as royalties
Some of the issues you may experience with this platform include
- Customer service is slow and unresponsive
- You may experience delayed product delivery
- Design By Humans has low ratings across several review sites.
- Application on DBH platform is subject to approval. Therefore, you can’t immediately start selling custom printed products on DBH after creating an account.
- Great designs but poor print quality
- Artists cannot set their markup or control the royalties they earn
Here are some of the issues you may experience while using this platform
- Products are expensive because artists set markups
- Artist cannot create a customized store to sell their products
- Lack of third-party integrations
- There’s stiff competition on the Zazzle products.
- Merchants are tasked with promoting their POD products themselves.
- Product quality is poor
- Customers may experience shipping delays
Design By Humans and Redbubble both have similar cons. So there is no clear winner.
Design By Humans and Redbubble have similar features. Let’s take a look at some of them.
- They have an online shop where customers can buy a wide range of products, including clothing, accessories, gift items, and more.
- Both platforms have an active community of creatives, content creators, artists, and designers
- Artists and content creators can upload their creative designs and earn royalties when customers buy products that have their designs on them.
- Both Design By Humans and Redbubble allow artists to create licensed fan merchandise from popular brands and companies
- Design By Humans and Redbubble process, print, and ship products to customers globally. Furthermore, they both support bulk orders, product returns, and exchanges.
- Students can enjoy purchase discounts on both platforms.
- They both offer live chat and email support for artists.
Let’s take a look at some of the differences you will find in both tools.
- Design By Humans only offers credit card payments for some countries. Also, they offer PayPal and Amazon Pay payment options for countries without the credit card billing option. On the other hand, Redbubble has multiple payment options including: Credit card, PayPal, Apple Pay, and Amazon Pay.
- Design By Humans allows marketers to sell their designs, and merchandise on their customized storefront.They can sell products such as art prints, customized t-shirts, caps, hoodies, and mugs. However, Redbubble does not offer a personalized storefront for artists. Artists can only sell their art and designs on the marketplace.
- Redbubble platform offers four language options including English, Spanish Dutch, and French. Meanwhile, Design By Humans online marketplace is available only in English.
- Design By Humans hosts design competitions, special events, and charity contests. Furthermore, they offer cash prizes to the winners of these contests. Conversely, Redbubble does not host a design competition for artists and designers.
Design By Humans is a good print on demand platform for independent artists. In fact, they have a featured section for artists. Also, they promote artists on their social media pages and email newsletters.
If you are an artist or entrepreneur that wants to make a living from selling products imprinted with artwork, Redbubble is the ideal platform for you.
With Redbubble, you can start your POD business without worrying about manufacturing, inventory, order fulfillment, and shipping hassles.
Based on customer reviews on sites like Sitejabber and Trustpilot, Design By Humans has poor product quality. In fact, a recent comment by a former DBH user described their anime shirt quality as horrible.
Just like other top print on demand services, Redbubble has superior product quality which makes it renowned in the industry. With Redbubble, you are assured of getting POD products with better quality. Also, if there’s any speck of product defects, you can rely on Redbubble for returns.
We have compared Design By Humans and Redbubble. Both platforms have a rich assortment of products with beautiful designs.
They provide opportunities for artists and creatives to earn royalties for their work. Artists can retain full ownership of their work and resell them on other POD platforms.
However, Design By Humans has a slight edge over Redbubble.
With DBH, artists can create and fully customize their storefront, promote, and sell products to a broad audience. They can monitor traffic and view sales performance.
DBH offers more opportunities for designers to earn more revenue. They can receive income when their fan art designs are sold on products in multiple platforms including
- eBay and more
It’s time to get started building your designs and making them profitable.
Nicholas Godwin helps businesses tell profitable brand stories that their audiences love. He’s worked on projects for Fortune 500 companies, global tech corporations and top consulting firms, from Bloomberg Beta, Accenture, PwC, and Deloitte to HP, Shell, and AT&T. Works with Mofluid these days.