Whether you’re residing in Australia, you’re there for business or on holiday, you can access the internet. You’ll soon come to realize the need for a virtual private network (VPN) so as to put a cap on surveillance and data retention, plus other restrictions on services and websites.
Besides using a browser to protect your privacy, a VPN gives you increased security, especially on public networks like WiFi in hotels, schools, and other public spaces. It also lets you access the geo-restricted content on sites like video streaming services, including Netflix.
Australia is part of the Five Eyes, an agreement between member states to share intelligence assistance. Its laws give security and law enforcement authorities the power to snoop on your online activity.
Similarly, its data retention laws have also been tightened such that internet service providers (ISPs) are obligated by law to collect and store metadata for a period of up to 2 years and avail the same upon request by national security.
The law, passed in 2015, defines this data to include the source and destination of email, plus the dates and times of web browsing sessions.
Additionally, there are punishments for whistleblowers who publish information that is classified and laws that hinder access to websites such as torrents and video streaming.
A VPN for Australia lets you access streaming services blocked in their countries of origin, access Australian broadcasting services while traveling, and have an extra layer of protection from online snoopers, hackers, identity thieves, and fraudsters.
Criteria For Choosing A VPN For Australia
If you’re looking for the best VPNs for Australia, here are factors you need to consider when selecting one:
- Large server network with a wide variety of locations
- Lightning fast speeds for streaming and gaming
- Solid, military-grade security
- Ability to unblock geo-restricted content
- Peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing
- User-friendly multi- or cross-platform clients
- Best value for the price
- Stealth mode to bypass firewalls and hide VPN use
- DNS data leak protection and Killswitch
- A reputation for solid performance and excellent delivery
Best VPNs In Australia
ExpressVPN provides secure VPN services to users in different parts of the world – 94 countries, to be specific. This VPN service is swift and reliable with next-generation technology. It allows you to connect to your server of choice with one click.
You can use ExpressVPN on any major device, including Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, and Linux. The VPN service also offers a router and an application for smart TVs.
It’s a premium VPN, and you have multiple pricing options to choose. ExpressVPN ranks at the top in most independent VPN reviews and user ratings for many reasons, including:
- Large network of over 3,000 servers globally in 94 countries (148+ locations)
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Zero restrictions on streaming and downloading via web browsers
- IP hiding
- Offshore privacy protection
- Zero-logging policy
- High speeds
- Ultra-secure protection
- Ease of use
- Instant setup and installation
- Access to geo-restricted content
- Powerful encryption
- A strong 256-bit AES encryption
- DNS/IPv6 leak protection
- Kill switch and split tunneling
- Availability of tech support through live chat 24/7
It has six convenient VPN server locations for Australia: two Sydney locations, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, and Perth for fast, secure, and reliable VPN.
With a server network of 5499 servers in 59 different countries, NordVPN assures you of everything you need for privacy online while in Australia.
This VPN service lets you access regular VPN features like masking your real IP and changing geo-locations. It further lets you access advanced features like split tunneling, double VPN, and private DNS.
One of the best things about NordVPN is the Threat Protection feature. It’s a neo-feature that protects your device from cyber threats.
Interestingly, you don’t need to be connected to a VPN server to use it. Simply activate it in the settings, and Threat Protection will continuously improve your browsing experience.
Other features include the following:
- Double VPN combinations to encrypt your internet traffic
- CyberSec technology protects against intrusive ads and malicious online threats
- DNS leak protection
- Automatic kill switch
- Dedicated IP address
- No logs policy, so your data isn’t tracked or monitored
- Hides your real IP address
- Secure browsing on Chrome or Firefox
- Secure streaming with SmartPlay technology
3. CyberGhost VPN
This is another popular VPN among internet users across the world because of its multi-privacy platform solution and great security tools.
With CyberGhost’s industry-leading 256-bit AES encryption, no one can track your activities on the net, and the VPN keeps no logs.
You can use CyberGhost on desktop, mobile, smart, and gaming devices. This VPN service also has browser extensions for popular web browsers like Google Chrome and Brave.
CyberGhost is one of the oldest premium VPNs on the internet as it was launched in 2004.
- Highest encryption available with 256-bit encryption technology
- IP hiding
- Wi-Fi protection if in public places
- Strict no logs policy
- Multiplatform apps for all your devices
- Security for transactions and conversations
- A huge network of 9150+ VPN servers in 91 countries worldwide
- Support for OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec, and IKEv2 protocols
- Split tunneling
- Ad and malware blocking
- Website exemption
This VPN not only ensures preventive and complete security for your online activity, but it also has a unique solution that protects you from online threats while filtering out content that you don’t want.
With PureVPN, you can access websites, videos, audio, and other internet content where they are available. You don’t have to worry about any internet censorship or restrictions.
Notably, PureVPN is compatible with over 20 supported devices such as Windows, Mac, Android, routers, Raspberry Pi, Xbox, etc.
- Over 6,500 VPN servers in more than 78 countries
- Over 96 total locations worldwide
- Antivirus or firewall for intrusion detection and prevention
- Built-in ad blocking
- URL filtering to block malicious pages prior to visiting them
- App filtering
- Seamless connectivity
- Multi-platform apps with compatibility for more than 20 devices
- Multi-login on one single account
- 256-bit data encryption
- 24/7 customer service
- Access to all servers regardless of the plan you choose
- Unlimited server switching and unlimited data transfer.
5. IPVanish VPN
This VPN is known for its speed and has a less congested connection that assures you of security and privacy.
IPVanish is one of the best VPNs you can use in Australia if you’re particular about server locations.
This VPN boasts a massive 2,000+ servers in more than 75 countries. Furthermore, you get access to more than 40,000 IP addresses.
One of IPVanish’s newest features is WireGuard – a feature that lets you browse incredibly faster. It’ll come in handy when handling time-sensitive VPN tasks.
In fact, it is ideal for playing the best browser games.
- More than 2,000+ servers in 75+ countries globally, all owned by IPVanish
- Auto-select feature to connect to the fastest server available in a specific location
- 256-bit AES encryption
- A no-logs policy so no data is recorded.
6. TunnelBear VPN
TunnelBear is an ideal option for a freemium VPN.
It’s a simple VPN and one that you’ll find fun to use with the bear animations. You can use TunnelBear on your Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android devices.
It’s a light VPN application, so it won’t affect the performance of other applications as it runs in the background.
Not to mention, by default TunnelBear utilizes a robust AES 256 encryption protocol.
This VPN has servers in over 45 countries, with the exception of Africa, the Middle East, Turkey, and Russia, all of which have restrictive internet access policies. It is one of the fastest VPNs to use, with better performance and its features:
- Ad blockers
- Whitelisting of sites
- Works with multiple platforms and operating systems
- A browser plugin for both Chrome and Opera browsers.
This VPN service was launched in 2018 making it one of the latest Australian VPN service. It is available for all major operating systems and relatively expensive; hence, it is an ideal crossplatform VPN for multiple devices.
You can opt for Surfshark VPN if you need a VPN for privacy-centric browsers that can bypass geo-restrictions on streaming services worldwide. It’s the best option for many people because of the strong AES-256 encryption it delivers.
This British Virgin Islands-based VPN has servers in 95 countries and it offers the following features:
- Over 3200 VPN servers
- Great security
- A zero log policy on your online activities
- Hiding your IP from your ISP using the OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPSec, and WireGuard protocols
- Fast, unlimited speeds and security
- Easy setup and installation
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Unlimited device connections simultaneously from anywhere in the world, on a single connection.
8. Private Internet Access (PIA) VPN
Private Internet Access VPN has been in the industry for over ten years, recording more than 15 million users worldwide.
As a PIA VPN user, you get access to dedicated IPs – IPs only you can use – which are more common with proxies than VPNs. The dedicated IP is available as an add-on, and another notable add-on is the privacy-first antivirus.
In other words, you don’t just get VPN features with PIA, you also get proxy and antivirus features.
With PIA, you get to enjoy the high-quality performance and strong security on multiple platforms, each with its own instructions on setting up and usage.
Its features include:
- Zero log-on browsing activity
- Shared IPs to hide your identity online
- Thousands of servers in different countries
- Great speeds as it increases latency both at home and internationally, with good download and upload speeds.
VyprVPN offers high levels of privacy and security with access to geo-restricted content as it escapes censorship and protects you from data retention laws.
Built by experts, VyprVPN believes privacy is a human right. Hence, the VPN ensures that your internet connection is secure and that no third-party – not even VyprVPN’s servers – can access your browsing data.
The VPN protects you from DNS leakage, ensuring your traffic cannot be tracked. In addition, split-tunneling lets you use the VPN without affecting your regular internet access.
You can use the VPN on mobile devices like Android and iOS, desktop devices like Windows and Mac, and media players like Roku.
- Over 300,000 IP addresses to use
- Over 700 servers in its network
- Easy and unlimited server switching
- Easy-to-use apps for all devices on all platforms
- Unrestricted internet experience
- Chameleon technology to beat VPN blocking and throttling worldwide.
- Multiple encryption protocols
- Zero-knowledge VyprDNS just for Vypr users.
- NAT firewall as an extra security layer of protection
- 24/7 year-round tech support via email or live chat.
10. Hotspot Shield VPN
As its name suggests, this VPN protects your privacy (especially for regular WiFi users) while keeping your data and information secure; plus, it has a free version if you want to test run the service. It boasts more than 3,200 servers in more than 80 countries and 35 cities.
Hotspot Shield VPN is one of the best VPNs in terms of compatibility. The VPN is available for Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, and Mac devices. It is also available for Chrome, smart TVs, and Routers.
As a privacy-focused VPN, Hotspot Shield VPN doesn’t record your browsing activity. In addition, the military-grade encryption ensures no other website or malware can track your activities.
- Protection on up to five devices at the same time
- Unblocking streaming sites for your favorite shows and content
- OpenVPN protocol
- AES 256-bit encryption
- SHA1 and 2048-bit RSA authentication
- Bittorrent and P2P file sharing
- Malware detection
- Ad and cookie blockers on its free Chrome Extension.
The best VPN for Australia delivers a true solution to prevent online snoopers from checking out your activity while protecting your sensitive data and information via strong encryption and allowing you to bypass geo-limitation barriers.
Our guide to the top 10 VPNs for Australia will help you overcome the restrictions while ensuring anonymity every time.
Elsie started off as a freelance business and tech journalist. Having written for publications like Lifewire, and WindowsReport, she has garnered immense exposure over the years. She is a certified social media expert with deep interest in internet marketing, ecommerce and information technology.