Whether you’re residing in Australia, you’re there for business or on holiday, you can access the internet.
You’ll soon come to realize the need for a virtual private network (VPN) so as to put a cap on surveillance and data retention, plus other restrictions on services and websites.
Besides protecting your privacy, a VPN gives you increased security, especially on public networks like WiFi in hotels, schools, and other public spaces.
It also lets you access geo-restricted content on sites like video streaming services including Netflix.
Australia is part of the Five Eyes, an agreement between member states to share intelligence assistance. Its laws give security and law enforcement authorities the power to snoop on your online activity.
Similarly, its data retention laws have also been tightened such that internet service providers (ISPs) are obligated by law to collect and store metadata for a period of up to 2 years, and avail the same upon request by national security.
The law, passed in 2015, defines this data to include the source and destination of email, plus the dates and times of web browsing sessions.
Additionally, there are punishments for whistleblowers who publish information that is classified and laws that hinder access to websites such as torrents and video streaming.
A VPN for Australia lets you access streaming services blocked in their countries of origin, access Australian broadcasting services while traveling, and have an extra layer of protection from online snoopers, hackers, identity thieves and fraudsters.
If you’re looking for the best VPNs for Australia, here are factors you need to consider when selecting one:
- Large server network with a wide variety of locations
- Lightning fast speeds for streaming and gaming
- Solid, military-grade security
- Ability to unblock geo-restricted content
- Peer to peer (P2P) file sharing
- User friendly multi- or cross-platform clients
- Best value for price
- Stealth mode to bypass firewalls and hide VPN use
- DNS data leak protection and Killswitch
- A reputation for solid performance and excellent delivery
This VPN ranks at the top in most independent VPN reviews and user ratings for many reasons including:
- Large network of over 1700 servers globally in 94 countries (148+ locations)
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Zero restrictions on streaming and downloading
- IP hiding
- Offshore privacy protection
- Zero-logging policy
- High speeds
- Ultra-secure protection
- Ease of use
- Instant set up and installation
- Access to geo-restricted content
- Powerful encryption
- A strong 256-bit AES encryption
- DNS/IPv6 leak protection
- Kill switch and split tunneling
- Availability of tech support through live chat 24/7
It has four convenient VPN server locations for Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth for fast, secure and reliable VPN.
With a server network of 4205 servers in 62 different countries, NordVPN assures you of everything you need for privacy online while in Australia.
Its features include the following:
- Double VPN combinations to encrypt your internet traffic
- CyberSec technology that protects against intrusive ads and malicious online threats
- DNS leak protection
- Automatic kill switch
- Dedicated IP address
- No logs policy, so your data isn’t tracked or monitored
- Hides your real IP address
- Secure browsing on Chrome or Firefox
- Secure streaming with SmartPlay technology
This is another popular VPN among internet users across the world, because of its multi-privacy platform solution and great security tools.
- Highest encryption available with 256-bit encryption technology
- IP hiding
- Wi-Fi protection if in a public places
- Strict no logs policy
- Multiplatform apps for all your devices
- Security for transactions and conversations
- Huge network of 1319 VPN servers in 61 worldwide
- 24/7 live chat (native French and German)
- Support for OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec and IKEv2 protocols
- Split tunneling
- Ad and malware blocking
- Website exemption
This VPN not only ensures preventive and complete security for your online activity, but it also has a unique solution that protects you from online threats while filtering out content that you don’t want.
Its features include:
- Over 750 servers in more than 140 countries
- Over 88,000 IP addresses to use
- Antivirus/antimalware for intrusion detection and prevention
- Built-in ad blocking
- URL filtering to block malicious pages prior to visiting them
- App filtering
- Seamless connectivity
- Multi-platform apps with compatibility for more than 20 devices
- Multi-login on one single account
- 256-bit data encryption
- 24/7 customer service
- Access to all servers regardless of the plan you choose
- Unlimited server switching and unlimited data transfer.
This VPN is known for its speed, and has a less congested connection that assures you of security and privacy.
Its features include:
- More than 750+ servers in 61 countries globally, all owned by IPVanish
- Auto-select feature to connect to the fastest server available in a specific location
- 256-bit AES encryption
- A no-logs policy so no data is recorded.
This VPN has servers in 20 countries, with the exception of Africa, the Middle East, Turkey and Russia, all of which have restrictive internet access policies.
It is one of the fastest VPNs to use, with better performance and it features:
- Ad blockers
- Whitelisting of sites
- Works with multiple platforms and operating systems
- A browser plugin for both Chrome and Opera browsers.
This Hungary-based VPN has servers in 46 countries (not as many compared to some top contenders on this list) but it offers the following features:
- Great security
- A zero log policy on your online activities
- Hiding of your IP from your ISP using the OpenVPN protocol
- Fast, unlimited speeds and security
- Easy setup and installation
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Up to 5 connections simultaneously from anywhere in the world, on a single connection.
With PIA, you get to enjoy high quality performance and strong security on multiple platforms, each with its own instructions on setting up and usage. Its features include:
- Zero log on browsing activity
- Shared IPs to hide your identity online
- Thousands of servers in different countries
- Great speeds as it increases latency both at home and internationally, with good download and upload speeds.
VyprVPN offers high levels of privacy and security with access to geo-restricted content as it escapes censorship and protects you from data retention laws.
Its features include:
- Over 200,000 IP addresses to use
- Over 700 servers in its network
- Easy and unlimited server switching
- Easy-to-use apps for all devices on all platforms
- Unrestricted internet experience
- Chameleon technology to beat VPN blocking and throttling worldwide.
- Multiple encryption protocols
- Zero-knowledge VyprDNS just for Vypr users.
- NAT firewall as an extra security layer of protection
- 24/7 year round tech support via email or live chat.
As its name suggests, this VPN protects your privacy (especially for regular WiFi users) while keeping your data and information secure, plus it has a free version if you want to test run the service. Its features include:
- Protection on up to five devices at the same time
- Unblocking of streaming sites for your favorite shows and content
- OpenVPN protocol
- AES 256-bit encryption
- SHA1 and 2048-bit RSA authentication
- Bittorrent and P2P file sharing
- Malware detection
- Ad and cookie blockers on its free Chrome Extension.
The best VPN for Australia delivers a true solution to prevent online snoopers from checking out your activity, while protecting your sensitive data and information via strong encryption, and allowing you to bypass geo-limitation barriers.
Our guide to the top 10 VPNs for Australia will help you overcome the restrictions while ensuring anonymity every time.
Let us know in the comments section if there’s a VPN that you use and works well in Australia too.